An orthodontist is a dental healthcare professional, who specializes in the diagnosis and correction of misaligned teeth and jaws. Parents should consult an expert orthodontist to check the positioning of the jaw and teeth, before their children turn 7 years.
The orthodontist conducts a full mouth x-ray to diagnose jaw and teeth positioning problems in children. He uses devices like braces, bands, wires, mouth expander etc. to treat problems like narrow jaw, crowded teeth, impacted teeth and crooked smile.
The orthodontic treatments take a lot of time. It is essential to choose an experienced and reputed orthodontist, with a friendly nature. Here are some tips to help you choose a professional orthodontists for your child.
- Your dentist is the right person to start with. Most dentists work closely with orthodontists and they would be ready to refer a professional orthodontist for your child.
- You can search the internet or local directories to get contact information of a few good orthodontic clinics in your neighborhood. Most of the reputed clinics have their own websites, which provide contact information and information related to the services provided at the clinic.
- Ask friends and family members, who have got orthodontic treatments. They would be more than happy to refer their orthodontist and will also help you to get first-hand information about the quality of services. Ask them questions like, how the clinic makes the child comfortable, is the orthodontist accessible and how they respond to emergencies.
- Once you have a list of some experienced orthodontists in your city, schedule an appointment and visit a few of them. Personal visits to the clinic will help you to assess the overall atmosphere at the clinic, the type of equipment used and the experience and qualifications of the orthodontists working at the clinic.
- Choose a clinic that is easily accessible, has experienced and professional orthodontists and suits your budget. Orthodontic treatments are done with devices like mouth expander, braces etc. The doctor should be willing to explain the exact problem of the child, the mode of treatment, the duration of the treatment and the costs involved. Parents should also be given a choice to select the treatment option in consultation with the orthodontist.
Treatments using mouth expander, wires, bands etc. are very long term. It is very important to choose a professional orthodontist, who will help you in every step of the treatment and make your child comfortable at every visit.